Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan province in Southwest China, as well as a major city in Western China. It holds sub-provincial administrative status. As of 2014 the administrative area housed 14,427,500 inhabitants with an urban population of 10,152,632.
Chengdu is one of the most important economic, financial, commercial, cultural, transportation, and communication centers in Western China. Chengdu also hosts many international companies and more than 12 consulates. More than 260 Fortune 500 companies have established branches in Chengdu due to the huge demand of Western China. In 2006, it was named China's 4th-most livable city by China Daily.
I-Chengdu was a Wi-Fi project for building a smart city of Chengdu, targeting to achieve Wi-Fi coverage in public areas and provide free Wi-Fi service with value-added services.
This project would be completed in a couple years according the customer’s requirements. About 30,000 APs were planned to be deployed all around the city in phase I, which would cover areas such as government offices, enterprises, shopping malls and public areas, etc.
It would bring great economic and social benefits to Chengdu by deploying Wi-Fi for its citizen to get connected to the internet at any time and any place. It would also provide motive power for Chengdu’s development.
Solution of SKSPRUCE
Smart City Wi-Fi needs a carrier-class Wi-Fi solution to achieve unified management, control and operations. The architecture of i-Chengdu Wi-Fi project was divided into three parts: Wi-Fi coverage of targeted areas, network management center and i-Chengdu operation center.
- To achieve Wi-Fi coverage of targeted areas, different types of APs needed to be chosen wisely according to actual coverage scenarios; meanwhile, building monetization of value-added service equipment in Wi-Fi covering areas could provide rich customized portal pages, user data mining, floating window advertisement, and user behavior statistics & analysis.
- Network management center was used to manage APs in different areas, and to perform user authentication management and policy control. In order to improve Wi-Fi reliability, compatibility and troubleshooting ability, it required unified network management system and authentication policy system.
- I-Chengdu operation center mainly operated subsequent monetization of value-added services, including big data analysis, customized advertisement, customer traffic statistics and network status monitoring.
Value of Customer
- High performance AP lowered regional single user cost significantly
- Unified Management of Wi-Fi network eased operation & maintenance, thus lowered OPEX
- Innovative carrier-class intelligent service management platform provided rich value-added services